Rev. Blomfield officiated at St Bartholomew’s on a few occasions either during or
after Rev. Donkin’s incumbency of 1855 – 1875.
He was born on 27 October 1824 at Maitland, his parents being Thomas Valentine Blomfield
and Christiana Jane, nee Brooks. Christiana was the daughter of Captain Richard
Brooks, who acquired a 500 acre (200ha) property later called ‘Denham Court’ from
Judge Advocate Richard Atkins and then brought his family out from England in 1814.
He died in 1833 and his daughter, Christiana, inherited the property. In future
years the property was run by her son Richard and then by his son Andrew.
When Captain Brooks died he was buried in a vault on the property. His wife died
two years later and she was buried with her husband. She left 10 acres (4 ha) of
land and 560 pounds for a chapel to be built over the vault. The chapel, designed
by John Verge, was called ‘St Mary the Virgin’. It was consecrated by Bishop Broughton
on 25 August 1838, and was at first served by clergy from St Luke’s, Liverpool.
John Roe Blomfield entered Lyndhurst, which was Bishop Broughton’s colonial theological
school when he was 24 years old. In 1849 the college closed and John then became
a stipendiary reader to Rev. William Macquarie Cowper at Stroud. In 1851 Bishop Tyrell
of Newcastle made John a Deacon and placed him in charge of the district of Lochinvar.
On 19 December, 1852 he was Ordained to the Priesthood.
In 1866, due to his wife’s ill health, the family moved to Sydney where Rev Blomfield
was licensed to the Diocese of Sydney and placed in charge of St Luke’s Burwood with
Five Dock for a year. After that he was transferred to Mulgoa. In 1858 he was the
Incumbent at All Saints Parramatta. In 1883 he travelled to England with Rev Charles
Garnsey. While he was in England he saw changes occurring in the way church services
were conducted. When he returned to All Saints in 1885 he tried to introduce the
changes he had observed in England, but the parishioners did not like the new ideas.
In 1886 he resigned but remained Chaplain to the Parramatta Gaol and Assylum.
On 6 November 1851 Rev. Blomfield married Mary Rachael Wood, at St Mary’s , Maitland.
Mary died at Parramatta on 20 September 1870 and was buried at St Mary the Virgin,
They had 2 children:
Valentine John Stuart – born 1859 Raymond Terrace,
1883 married Mary Amelia Ann Scarvell nee Stewart at Parramatta
died 6 June 1929 at Williams, W.A.
Harold Arthur - born 1861 at Raymond Terrace
1885 married Ada E.F. Kidser at Parramatta
Died 16 January 1943 at West Maitland
Rev. Blomfield re-married on 10 October 1872, to Margaretta Caroline Thurburn, (daughter
of Alexander T. and Ann Thurburn).
Margaretta died on 14 January 1875 at Liverpool and was buried at St Mary the Virgin,
Rev. Blomfield again re-married on 18 September 1876, to Frances Harriet Clarkson
(daughter of Walter and Sarah M. Clarkson).
Frances died in 1878 at Parramatta and was buried at St Mary the Virgin, Denham Court.
Rev. Blomfield died on 1 May 1889 at Parramatta and was buried at St Mary the Virgin,
Denham Court after a funeral service at St Marks, Granville.